- Never buy a car without HPI checking. HPI is a system that checks for any serious accident damage, if the vehicle is stolen and if there is any outstanding finance due.
- Never purchase a car with no V5 document/log book.
- Buy a car with full service history. A car with full service history indicates that the car has been cared for by its owner and also validates its mileage.
- Don't be affraid to ask questions about the car. You can gain a lot of information with reference to insurance, tax, fuel economy and maintenance cost.
- Be aware of management warning lights illuminated on the dashboard. These warning lights could indicate not only an expensive repair but also a hazard to the safety of yourself and your passangers.
- If buying privately always take along somebody with expertise in motors knowledge.
- If buying a car in wet weather, ensure the vehicle is stored in a dry place. Wet cars can hide surface damage and wet weather generally gives the impression that the car is in better condition.